Sunday, April 28, 2013

Akok Kedut / Wrinkly Akok (MFF - Kelantan)

Never ever judge the taste by it's look. Never! The look of this kueh can be deceiving. Yes! But it taste really nice! This palm sugar and coconut dessert is accentuated by their rich, caramel taste and distinctive aroma.


Well, human depend way too much on their sense of sight as it is their primary tool of perception. But this kueh looks like a mega failed soggy cake! How can people NOT judge by it's appearance?

If you scroll down, read the ingredients, and you should be able to imagine how delicious this kueh is. The making process is quite fuss free too! :)


I've got myself some really nice Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) from Melaka last month. The 1st day when I reached Melaka, I bought a pack of Gula Melaka at the roadside. It cost me RM4.50. The 2nd day, I went Makko Restaurant for some Nyonya cuisines. And I spotted 100% Gula Melaka! It cost RM6.00 a pack. Look at this, just by the color itself, you could tell the difference.



Ingredients (Makes about 18 to 20pcs)
(Source : Wendyinkk)
  • 5 Eggs
  • 30gm Plain Flour
  • 150gm Palm Sugar (Gula Melaka)
  • 125ml Water
  • 2 blades of Pandan leaves (Screwpine Leaves), snip into pieces.
  • 200ml Coconut Milk
  • 1/8 tsp Salt
  • Oil as needed

Method
  1. Preheat oven 200C Fan ON. Apply a few drops of oil on a non-stick muffin tin. You could use aluminium egg tart pans. Put the oiled muffin tin into the oven to preheat together.
  2. Chop palm sugar into small pieces. In a saucepan, add water, pandan leaves and palm sugar. Bring to a boil and gently simmer for 5 minutes, lid on. Let it coo to warm. You should get about 150ml to 160ml in the end.
  3. Whisk eggs vigorously. I use hand-held mixer to do the fast work. Add in flour and salt. Make sure you whisk until no lumps are seen. 
  4. Strain in coconut milk and palm sugar syrup. Discard Pandan leaves. Mix well.
  5. Pour batter into the hot muffin tin. Like 2/3 full will do. You won't finish all at one go. You could repeat the baking later.
  6. Bake them for 12 minutes or until surface is golden brown. 


The mixture is now done and ready to bake.


When this Akok Kedut is baking in the oven, I sent a photo to Alan and Wendy. Alan asked if I'm baking Yorkshire pudding! Oh well, good guess! *wink*


Once it's out of the oven, the Akok will shrunk and collapsed immediately. Max thought I failed my cake baking when he saw it! Waaahahahaha...


The texture is like.... egg pudding? No. It should be baked caramelized palm sugar egg pudding! Yes! This sounds much nearer :)


Yes, it's wrinkly, it's ugly, it's not appealing. But it taste really delicious! The fragrant smoky sweet aroma is just... just... just hard to resist! Max loves it. He ate quite alot. Haha :)




I am submitting this to Malaysian Food Fest Kelantan Month hosted by Gertrude of My Kitchen Snippets

7 comments:

  1. Annie, I haven't tasted it yet and I am guilty of judging that wrinkly collapsed look. Hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, you are wrong this time. If you are using really good palm sugar, you will get addicted to this Akok Kedut! :)

      Delete
  2. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesApril 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

    Hi Annie, I think I will love this. KIV until I get good palm sugar. Anyone knows where to get good palm sugar in SG? Can't wait to try, haha: ) btw, can this kueh be kept at room temp overnight? Any change in taste if eaten the next day ? Thought of bringing to office for colleagues if I ever make this. Tks. Happy Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I'm not sure which part of SG can get good palm sugar. But I think Giant got sell. Not sure of it's quality tho. If you are making it before you sleep, the kueh is able to wait till the next day morning at room temp. For me, I did it in the afternoon. Once it's cooled, I clingwrap it and kept it in the fridge. The next day morning, I let the kueh sit at room temperature until the kueh turned room temperature before I eat. I think it's fine :)

      Delete
    2. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesMay 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

      Hi Annie, thanks: )

      Delete
  3. Hi Annie,
    Your akok kedut looks so kedut yet so so delicious..:p
    I agreed with you, must get good quality palm sugar to make this!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mui, go ahead and bake a batch for yourself. It's nice! :)

      Delete