Thursday, May 17, 2012

Papaya and White Fungus Beauty Soup (木瓜雪耳滋润汤)

I had not been blogging for the past 2 weeks because I had been busy running around, trying to get a new house. My kitchen in my current house sucks anyway. Please pardon me for my slowness in updating my blog. I will try my best to catch up.

Today, I'm gonna introduce you this nutritious soup. I called it Beauty Soup. Haha.

I learnt this from one of the cookbook that I've bought 3 years back. It is said that this soup helps to prevent loss of calcium, improves detoxification functions, skin beauty and removes dark spots. It can burn fats, prevent bacteria, expel heat and improves spleen too. Wooooo.... Beauty Soup!


Are you sold by now?

Other than the common Papaya that I wouldn't wanna introduce much, this soup calls for White fungus. Some people called it Snow Fungus. This fungus looks white or pale yellow, like coral in water. It has a few common names being silver ear or white wood ear. Whatever!

White fungus taste sweet. This food is known that, it has function of moisten and clear our lungs. It is very suitable for lung function deficiency, chronic cough and dry cough with no phlegm, dry skin or constipation, and even if you smokes and has dry throat and dry cough. White fungus can help reduce lung damage from smoking. So, it's not just beauty soup. It is SUPER nutritious beauty soup! Haha...

Okay, come back to the cooking part. It's easy. Ingredient is easily available too.


Ingredient
  • 300g Spare Ribs
  • 150g Lean Meat
  • 700g Green Papaya
  • 20g White Fungus / Snow Fungus
  • 20g Mixture of Chinese Almonds (南杏+北杏)
  • 4 Red Dates
  • 1.6L Water
According to the net, it had been said that modern science understands white fungus can improve the body’s immune system. If you always catch colds and flu, it is also suitable for you to eat. So, don't just restrict yourself by just putting 20g White fungus for your soup. You can use 25g or 30g if you want. It's individual.

Method 

1. Soak the White Fungus till it totally turned soft. It will double or even triple the size by then. I soak my fungus straight after I wake up. Then, I take my time going wet market to source for other fresh ingredient. By the time I reach home, my White Fungus is ready.

2. Rinse pork ribs, scald in boiling water for awhile. Remove and rinse.

3. Papaya - Skin off. Discard seeds. Clean. Cut into big chunks.

4. Wash Chinese Almonds & Red Dates before use.

5. In a soup pot, put everything in (except salt). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer the soup over low heat for about 2 hours or even 3 hours if you want. I cook mine for 3 hours using slow cooker.


6. And finally, salt to taste, and serve!

This soup looks abit cloudy and slightly thicker than the usual clear soup that I cook. Reason is because of the presence of White Fungus.


How many times do I have to repeat this to all my readers? Cooking soup using slow cooker is really effortless!!!

I would highly recommend this beauty soup to all the ladies out there. My husband had 2 big bowls of this soup that day. Haha... He obviously loves it.


Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Annie, I like all ur recipe :)..I realised you never put the "蜜枣” in your soup..is it not advisable? I always put except cooking the lotus soup..

    ReplyDelete