Sunday, April 8, 2012

Simple Fried Rice Vermicelli (炒米粉)

I love cooking Rice Vermicelli (Beehoon) over the weekend. It's just simple and welcoming. I prefer to keep my fried Rice Vermicelli simple. I usually don't use meat in there. But if it is meant for a party or something, I probably will add some shredded fish cakes. It depends on my mood.

This is another cooking without recipe for me. But fret not, I can write out the ingredients easily without referring to anything.

You can eat this as breakfast, brunch, lunch, hi-tea, dinner, supper... or something in-between, or whatever. It's up to you. Fried Rice Vermicelli is just another common food in Asia that I absolutely adore. It's yummy, easy, cheap, healthy, and it can be cooked 2 to 3 hours in advance without any problem!

I'm quite fussy about the type of Rice Vermicelli I use. I usually buy Tai Sun Rice Vermicelli (太山米粉) - Singaporean always recognize the the two chilli on the package. But I think there’s a imitated one. So, please don’t just see got chilli on the package & grab em’. See carefully.

I would try my best to use up the entire pack of Rice Vermicelli at one go. I hate it when I know I have to keep half of them, worrying that there might not be enough to feed the rest of the people. Because individual eating portion for fried Rice Vermicelli can be quite subjective sometimes. People tends to eat more that what they should. Especially my husband. He can swallow two big plate infront of me, rubbing his belly and say "Oh so yummy!", followed with a loud burp!

Cannot take it.


Anyway, come back to cooking...

Other than Rice Vermicelli, this is what I've got here...

Ingredient 
  • 1 pack of Rice Vermicelli (About 400g), soaked in water for about 15mins, drained.
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil
  • 200g Cabbage, shredded
  • 100g Chye Sim, cut into 2 inch length
  • 40g Shitake Mushroom, sliced
  • 30g Carrot, julienned
  • 1 Red Chilli, julienned
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 stalk spring onion
  • 2 eggs, beaten, pan-fried it into thin egg sheet, cut into strips.
  • 150 - 200ml water (Depends on how wet you want it to be)
Seasoning
  • 6 tbsp Soy Sauce
  • 4 tbsp Oyster Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Maggie Seasoning (Optional)
  • 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
  • few dashes of pepper

Now let's start cooking...

Method
  1. Soak Rice Vermicelli in water for 15mins, drain, set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, combine all the seasoning, mix well, set aside.
  3. Heat oil in wok, fry garlic till fragrant. Add in Cabbage, Chye Sim, Mushroom, Carrot. Give it a toss. 
  4. Add in Rice Vermicelli, stir well with the veggies on the wok, and pour in seasoning together with the water. Continue to stir-fry.
  5. Use a large pair of chopstick for easier stir-frying. Continue to stir & mix everything well, until water is absorbed, and you could feel that the Rice Vermicelli turned soft, and cooked.
  6. Add in half portion of red chilli, eggs, and spring onions. Toss, and heat off. Use the remaining half portion of red chilli, eggs and spring onions as garnishing and serve.
Simple, but definitely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment